Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Reasons why I love the Psalms 001

I was just watching this video on a new revision of the psalter. The psalter is, of course, a copy of the book of psalms but arranged to be sung. At my church, we sing the psalms. I realized somewhat recently that I love singing the psalms. I love them. So, let me share with you a reason why.



As Duncan Lowe (the elderly gentleman) points out in the video, "sometimes the psalms can be bold in saying certain things... that a hymn writer wouldn't have the right to say." Pretty profound. I think immediately of psalm 13. Consider the first 2 verses:

Psalm 13:
13:1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?

These are words that God led David, the man after His own heart to pen. These are words specifically meant for God's people to sing. I'll be honest, if it weren't for God giving me these words to sing, I wouldn't be able to express this emotion. And this gets to my point: I see so much of praise music these days focused on expressing emotion. It seems that there is a general feel that if things aren't flowing with free emotion that the Holy Spirit isn't working. Are modern praise choruses, written by men, capable of expressing a feeling that God has forgotten me? Can they express without blasphemy that I'm overcome with sorrow all day? Should they?

I'll stick to the psalms. I love the psalms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment.