Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Distinct vs. Separate... FIGHT!

When I say that something is distinct, I don't mean that it is necessarily separate. Let me explain:

I might say that we can distinguish between parts of a piece of fruit. Take, for example, an orange. An orange has a peel, fruit, and seeds. Each of these are essential to this particular object. An orange has each: a peel, fruit, and seeds (unless it is genetically sterilized to be seedless...). As I speak about them, I distinguish between the peel and the seeds. These parts are distinguishable... I could separate the peel from the fruit. If I did so, I would no longer have an entire orange. I would only have a part of an orange. To have a complete orange, you must have all the parts.

I think the example of the orange introduces the difference between calling something distinct and separating its parts. It is critical to understand this difference when either term is used to describe a theological concept. I'll introduce two:

In the testimony of the church to which I belong, there is the following statement:

(13.4)
Sanctification is inseparably connected with justification, but is distinct from it. By justification the sinner is acquitted from condemnation; by sanctification he is made holy, and prepared for the happiness of heaven. Justification is complete at once, and equal in all believers; sanctification is neither equal in all, nor perfect in any, while in this life. Nevertheless, all who are justified shall be completely sanctified.

In the above, we see distinction and separation used in a theological assertion. Specifically, justification and sanctification are mentioned. I won't go into the details of what each is just yet, but I will affirm that they are distinct, but not separate. What I mean is that if a person is justified then they are also being sanctified. These are not separate, indeed they cannot be. The testimony uses "inseparably connected" to describe this. This is like saying that an orange has a peel, fruit, and seeds. Take away one, and you no longer have an orange. Take justification away, and we can't expect sanctification. Take sanctification away, and we shouldn't presume that there ever was any justification.

There is also distinction in the assertion above. It identifies how justification is different from sanctification. Justification is different from sanctification. They can be distinguished from one another because they are not the same thing. We can distinguish between a seed and a peel. They are different. They are not the same thing.... but they are parts of the same thing: an orange. Justification and sanctification are parts of the same thing: the work of God in those He saves.

Distinction is important. I hold that we are justified by faith alone. I also hold that this same faith by which we are justified is never alone, it is always accompanied by good works. I don't want to go over that too quickly, because I think it is extremely important. God pronounces men just when they have faith in Jesus Christ. God also brings about change in a faithful person's life: He makes them better people: people more like Jesus Christ. This is the same as saying that justification is always accompanied by sanctification. The two are always found together because they are both works of God's grace in those He is saving.

This has some profound implications:
  • We should not presume that we have been justified if we do not also see ourselves being sanctified. (i.e., we should judge a tree by its fruit).
  • If God has brought us to have faith in Him, we can trust that we are saved, because the same God who justifies also sanctifies.
The above may seem contradictory. Indeed, it is hard for my finite mind to comprehend all that God has done and is doing in my life. I hold to them both, because I don't know how else we're to read Ephesians 2:8-9 with Ephesians 2:10 any other way:

Ephesians 2:
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Praise God who justifies and sanctifies His people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment.